Return to CUTPL Home Page
The Culver-Union Township Public Library makes no representation regarding the accuracy of the information contained within these pages.
|Assorted Hotels & Inns|
|The Allegheny House|
The Allegheny House, built around 1855, may be the County's oldest still-standing structure. Located on 18B Road near the village of Maxinkuckee and the site of the original Bigley apple orchard and property, it was one of the few hotels in the Lake Maxinkuckee area before the railroad arrived here, and its primary clientele included the fishermen who traveled to the lake in those days from regions not too distant. In fact, the bell which is said to have called fishermen in from the lake for meals still sits atop the house, which has gone through a few changes over the years, though which remains surprisingly close to its original state.
The house is perhaps most remembered for Lew Wallace being said to have written the opening chapters of his blockbuster novel, Ben Hur, in a room in the northeast corner of the house. We know for certain that Wallace was fishing on Lake Maxinkuckee on June 7, 1874 (source: Crawfordsville Evening Journal, June 13, 1874, according to Tom Mason of the Indiana Historical Society), and at that time, the Allegheny would have been the most likely spot to stay for fishing. Wallace would describe Lake Maxinkuckee as "the most beautiful place in the world."
The photo above shows the Allegheny House circa 1860s, and the photo here shows it circa 1910. The house was the first building to be awarded with the Marshall County Historical Society's Landmark Award, and is today owned by Paul Cromley.
|The Bay View Place|
An 1895 image of the Bay View Place from the days when Culver was "Marmont." This image is taken from an 1895 Maxinkuckee Agricultural Fair program, chock full of fascinating images and info, supplied by the Antiquarian & Historical Society of Culver. Click here to see the entire booklet.
Jim Moss of East Shore Drive owns one of the properties that made up Bay View Place. Today, the area is broken into three lots, 920, 950, and 964 East Shore Drive. According to Leigh Ann Lauth, whose family owns the house today, 920 East Shore, was once what was known locally as the "zinc house" (a house made out of zinc!). 950 East Shore is owned by Mr. Moss himself, and 964 East Shore is today owned by Jim Moss' daughter's family, the Kellys.
Mark A. Roeder's Culver history book (read the entire writeup here) reports that the Bay View Hotel was a popular operation during the late 1800s, the Culver Herald newspaper describing it as one of the most popular on the lake in 1896 and having over 100 guests on a given weekend (apparently it had 44 rooms or so). The Bay View closed in 1898 and was converted into separate cottages in 1899, though Roeder reports that it was still in operation in some form more than twenty years later. In 1950, a new cottage was built on the site, which had been divided into the three separate lots that make it up today.
"Bay View Place," a 1914 postcard.
"Chadwick's Hotel," a 1912 postcard, shows the Long Point-based hotel built around 1886, and gradually expanded during the teens, before being sold to several various owners in the late teens. More on the Chadwick from Mark A. Roeder's book here. Any further information on the Chadwick would be welcome.
From the Rochester Sentinel, Friday, July 22, 1904:
PASSING OF LONG POINT
From Culver Citizen:
The recent transfer of the extreme north end of Long Point by Hon. Milo R. Smith, of Rochester, to Mr. Chadwick of the Chadwick Hotel, for $2,000, marks another important era in the history of that noted location on the lake, and indicates the rapid rise in the value of lake property within the past score of years. Time was not so very far back in the past when that particular piece of property was not considered of much value. Some thirty odd years ago the writer of this could have purchased it from Dr. G. A. Durr, who then owned it, for $60, and but for a misunderstanding in the description, the purchase would have been made. All in all it is the finest piece of vacant ground on the lake, and for many purposes its location cannot be excelled anywhere.
This and the lake front south to the Arlington Hotel, is called "Long Point," in accordance with "the lay of the land." Originally, and for many years, it was called "Rochester Point," for the reason that in an early day several Rochester people purchased lots there and erected a club house. Until about the time of the completion of the Vandalia railroad only Rochester people spent the summer there. With the coming of the railroad also came people from Logansport, Terre Haute, Indianapolis, etc. until now there is not an unoccupied property on the whole point.
There is considerable history and a good deal of tradition associated with this portion of the lake which has been quite fully written up for the history of Maxinkuckee Lake soon to be published by the "Maxinkuckee Association."
The "Chadwick Point," was an Indian burial place, as human bones were found in a mound in the early settlement of the country. The late Maj. McFaddin of Logansport, insisted that Pau-Koo-Shuk, the son who killed his father, Aubeenaubbee, and who died at Winamac about 1838, was buried there. But quite a number of people had been residents about the lake for two years previous, and none of them remembered such an occurrence. It is more than likely that the genial and good hearted Major drew on his brilliant and vivid imagination for his facts. -- Daniel McDonald.
|The Maxinkuckee Assembly Hotel / Ralston Hotel - Click here for more.|
|Avery Park Hotel and Cafe|
Part of a wonderful collection donated by John Avery, this photo, taken by Avery's grand-father, D.R. Avery, shows an unidentified house. Avery was the owner and proprietor of Avery's Park Cafe hotel and restaurant, "one block west of the depot." That building, as we know from other photos, looks remarkably like one that burned in the early 1970s, according to Judi Burns, at the corner of Lake Shore Drive and Harding Court. The photo above may be the same building, possibly shot from the back (or north) side. If the photo was taken from the south, then Lake Shore Drive (then Toner Ave. when this photo was taken around 1900) was hardly more than a dirt trail. Therefore, this photo may show Avery's Park Cafe.
An early 1900s business card for Avery's Park Cafe hotel and restaurant, "one block west of the depot." That building, as we know from other photos, looks remarkably like one that burned in the early 1970s, according to Judi Burns, at the corner of Lake Shore Drive and Harding Court. Part of a wonderful collection donated by John Avery, whose grandfather, D.R. Avery, owned and operated the business.
Avery's Park Cafe hotel and restaurant, "one block west of the depot," was owned by D.R. Avery, whose grandson, John, provided this photo. The hotel was located on today's Lake Shore Drive (then Toner Avenue), just on the north side from the Vandalia railroad depot, which at the time was located approximately a block east of its present location. Some clue to the whereabouts of the hotel can be gleaned from the left-hand corner of the photo, which shows the edge of the large, ornate Colonnade Hotel, also owned by Avery at the time, which was located on the northeast corner of Lake Shore Drive and State Street (directly west of the movie theater in Culver today). Thus, the Avery Park Cafe and hotel was located approximately where the theater is today.
Built around 1916 and torn down in 1930, The Jungle -- as shown in this undated postcard -- sat partially on the land where the present-day Academy motels sit, and extended west a bit from there.
A drawing of the Jungle Hotel in this undated postcard.
An aerial view of the campus' western portion from the 1920s. At left can be seen the three fish hatchery ponds that once occupied the area near the present site of the Academy motels, just east of the Indian Trails. In 1930, that hatchery was filled in and relocated to a location just west of the junction of State Roads 10 and 17 (those ponds are still there). Also visible, just east of the hatchery, is the main lodge and smaller cabins of the Jungle Hotel, torn down in 1930. Further east, on the point, is the Palmer House, later to become the Culver Inn.
Above: A complete, 6-panel brochure advertising the Jungle, from sometime between 1920 and its demise in 1930. This brochure contains more information than we have previously had, and the 4th panel is particularly fascinating, depicting the "loop" in the center of the Jungle complex for driving and walking. This wonderful artifact comes from Kim Amond's collection.
|Kreuzberger Hotel & Saloon|
|The Hotel Colonnade|
The Hotel Colonnade was located just north of the Vandalia depot in Culver. Sadly, it burned to the ground in 1899. Mark Roeder's details on the Colonnade here.
A rare business card advertising the Hotel Colonade.
The Colonnade Hotel, located just north of the Vandalia depot on what is today Lake Shore Drive (then Toner Ave.). It was owned by D.R. Avery, owner of Avery's Park Cafe on the same street. From the John Avery collection.
A rare and beautiful shot of the Colonnade Hotel, located just north of the original Vandalia depot on what is today Lake Shore Drive (then Toner Ave). From the John Avery collection.
Feb. 12, 1901 is the date on this business card advertising the popular Colonnade hotel, located just north of the Vandalia depot on what is today Lake Shore Drive (then Toner Ave.). Mark Roeder's book notes that the Colonnade burned down in 1899, so the date stamped on this card must have come from later. From the John Avery collection.
This interesting "postcard" is more an advertisement in postcard format. The front side (with photo) shows the Bide-a-wee Hotel and Dining Room, which was located at the end of East Shore Lane. The back of the card promotes the hotel, advertising the lofty rate of $2.00 per day!
|The Arlington Hotel|
Above: The Arlington as it appeared in 1898. At left is the hotel itself; at right is the porch of the hotel. The original Arlington was built on the south end of Long Point in 1896 and burned that same year. It was rebuilt shortly thereafter and became a popular and lavish hotel on the lake until its closing in 1912. On August 15, 1917, a chimney fire caused enough damage to the Arlington's main structure that the building was lost. Mark A. Roeder's Culver history book has an informative section on the Arlington here.
Below: an 1898 Culver City Herald Souvenir edition article on the Arlington.
The steamboat SS Arlington docked alongside the iconic Arlington Hotel on the south shore of Lake Maxinkuckee's Long Point on the lake's west shore. This fascinating view not only depicts an unusual angle on the hotel itself, but also appears to show the small Arlington depot, an elusive piece of "lost" history of Culver. The Arlington depot would have been the only depot in the Culver area besides the main Vandalia depot located in the town park.
|The Culver House|
This postcard from the Mike Shesky collection shows the Culver House, a set of rooms for rent on Lake Shore Drive near the corner of College Avenue, just north of the present Papa's restaurant. Today, the buildings have been refurbished (having been apartments for some time and then lying empty) as Inn by the Lake, a bed and breakfast.
The Academies' motels, on the west end of the campus, haven't changed much since this 1960 postcard was printed.
The East Shore Drive Historic District - a history of the architecture, recreation, and families of the East Shore.
|Other Vintage Culver Hotels|
The Palmer House (see the Culver Inn, click here)
The Maxinkuckee Inn (see the Culver Inn, click here)