CUTPL Board Minutes for November 2008
Board of Trustees
Culver Union Township Public Library
Executive Session Minutes
November 18, 2008
An executive session of the Board of Trustees of the Culver Union Township Public Library was held on November 18, 2008, at 6:00 p.m. All members of the Board of Trustees were present. Ron Cole, President, presided and Carol Saft, Secretary, kept the minutes.
The purpose of the meeting was to discuss annual salary for the newly appointed director and the appointment of a new attorney for the library board. Per IC5-14-1.5-6.1 (8) to discuss the job performance evaluation of an individual employee.
No further business was discussed and the meeting was adjourned at 7:00 p.m.
Culver Public Library
Board Meeting Minutes
November 18th, 2008
Date: November 18, 2008
Time: 7:00 p.m. Ending Time: 8:15 p.m.
Place: Library Conference Room
Members: Ron Cole, Alfred Nyby, Jim Hahn, Peg Schultz, Rita Lawson, Melanie Robertson, and Carol Saft
The meeting was called to order and the quorum established with all board members present.
I. Secretary's report:
Executive Session minutes from October 21, 2008 and the regular meeting minutes from October 21, 2008 were approved.
II. Treasurer's report:
The treasurer's report was present by Rita Lawson. Please see the attached report. Ending balances for the month of October:
Paige Gregory, from Umbaugh and Associates, had prior commitments but will be in attendance at the December 16, 2008 meeting to present the report and recommendations from Umbaugh and Associates.
III. Director's report:
Colleen Carpenter welcomed the new board member Jim Hahn.
- AT&T has issued the credits for the cell phone bill and the negotiation of the new plan by Carol Saft.
- Food for Fines has to date donated over 200 food item in place of fines owed. This program will continue until January 3, 2009.
- Colleen is conducting 45 minute interviews with all staff members discussing assignments, concerns and idea for building a team.
- Colleen and Jim attended a bookkeeping workshop in Plymouth and received some help on writing the annual report.
- Staff meetings will be held the last Thursday of every month at 8:00 p.m. This time has been set for more staff members to be able to attend.
- Pages from the high school are volunteering at the library.
- Inventory will be taken before the end of the year and will be done during open hours of the library.
- Colleen will be writing a news column for the Culver Citizen about events at the library to keep the public informed.
- HVAC system: Two new companies will be submitting bids for providing services, hoping to reduce the cost since the company now servicing the system is from Fort Wayne and charges travel time both ways.
- There is also a review of some technical services to see which ones can be cancelled.
Theresa Hudson has completed her library class and according to the minutes of December 11, 2007 and the Education Policy adopted October 2, 2007, she will be submitting the cost of the class to the library for repayment of costs.
Mike Stallings, current president of the Culver Chamber of Commerce and Greg Fassett, upcoming president of the Chamber, presented a proposition of the Culver Chamber of Commerce taking over the Taste of Culver Event which has been held by the library for the last three years. After discussion between the board and the two members from the Chamber, Jim Hahn presented a motion that the Culver library get out of the Taste of Culver and turn the event over to the Chamber of Commerce. The motion was seconded by Alfred Nyby and approved by all board members.
Ken Lukenbill was introduced to the members of the board and the public in attendance as the new attorney for the library. A motion was made to accept Mr. Lukenbill and his office as the new attorney. Approved by all board members.
Jim Hahn made the motion to accept the new Anthem Health Insurance with the elimination of dental coverage for the 2009 year with the understanding that the insurance will be reevaluated in one year to see if the budget can sustain adding the coverage back. Seconded by Carol Saft; Approved with Peg Schuldt abstaining.
A motion was made by Rita Lawson to set the new director's yearly salary to be $40,000 per year with the understanding that the salary be retro active to October 21, 2008. Seconded by Melanie Robertson; Approved by all board members.
IV. Ad Hoc Committee Reports:
Finance/Budget Committee: The new committee has met twice. The committee is evaluating the fax machine lease and the option to purchase at the end of the contract.
Policy Revision Committee: The committee has not met yet but will be meeting in January 2009. Colleen Carpenter will be searching other libraries for their credit card policy use and Carol Saft will look into the use of cell phone usage and charges. The committee will be reviewing other policies and the required policies by the state of Indiana to make sure the rewritten policies will be in compliance with the state regulations.
V. New Business:
Colleen Carpenter presented a new job description to the Board to appoint Jim Faulkner to full time position with the title of Assistant Director. There was concern over the new title conflicting with regulations established by the state for director positions. A suggestion was made to create a new name for this position. This was tabled and will be represented at the December 16th meeting.
VI. Public Comment:
No public comment
Meeting was adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
© Culver-Union Township Public Library