CUTPL Board Minutes for January 2011
CULVER UNION TOWNSHIP PUBLIC LIBRARY
Board Meeting January 18, 2011
Members: Joan Bess, Joyce Greeson, Jim Hahn, Al Nyby, Melanie Robertson, Carol Saft, Peg Schuldt
Agenda: accepted without additions
Meeting #1, Annual Financial meeting, all Board members present
Al Nyby presented a slide presentation along with packet
no questions or comments
State requirements for investments are safety, liquidity, and return
Motion to accept the report by Joyce and seconded by Carol
Motion to adjourn made by Al and seconded by Carol
January 18, 2011 7:10 pm
Meeting #2, Regular Monthly Board meeting was called to order by President Jim Hahn and a quorum was established.
Pledge of Allegiance
Public comments: none
Secretary Report: Melanie Robertson
corrections of minutes from the 12-16-10:
p2, #5 "our" not out
under Financial Committee add motion made by "Peg"
under Policy Committee #4 leave out "and"
motion to accept corrections by Peg, seconded by Joyce
Treasurer’s Report: Al Nyby (packet and slide presentation)
Financial Highlights for January 2011
- well under the state approved budget of $563,600 in 2010
- income for 2010 $457,000, expenditures $443,000
- Personal Services needs attention, 63.6 % spent ($2out of $3)
- additional $8,000 from delinquent taxes and an additional $3300 from unexpected excess CAGIT distribution
- Expenditures for salary assistants: budget was $172,000 but spent $182,000;
- unexpected software license purchases: made but not budgeted
- expect to spend more than will be taken in; tax receipts are down and
- personal services are increasing
- asked the State for $10,000 more, they approved $ 4000
- income probably will be down about $31,000 for 2011
- expect Personal Services to increase about $9,500
- suggested decrease in staff hours
- suggested library hours to decrease
- request for unemployment compensation in December 2010 for $681.00
2 year old written checks not cashed to date should be voided; one account, attorney Chipman will be sent a certified letter requesting validation of this uncashed check written to him in 2008
Joyce suggested consulting the laws for abandoned properties
Financial Manager Report: Jim Faulkner
Financial Highlights for January 2011
|Collection development for December:|
|Newspapers & Periodicals:||$124.80|
2) Bank transfers for December.
|Transfers and actual Operating Fund Receipts and Expenditures for the Month and Year to Date:|
|Monthly Transfers||Monthly Receipts||Year-to-Date Receipts||Monthly Expenditures||Year-to-Date Expenditures|
We received our December property tax and special taxes distributions on December 28th. The total amounts were $129,211.41 for the Operating Fund and $92,663.96 for the Debt Service Fund.
4) We paid our first semi-annual Debt service payment for 2011 in the amount of $100,500.00 on December 27th. The balance in our Debt Service Fund is now $108,815.09; that is more than enough to cover our next scheduled payment in June, so we will not need an internal loan for that purpose again at that time.
5) The Register of Claims for December shows claims totaling almost $271K. This abnormally high amount results largely from the December mortgage payment and the bank account to bank account transfer that was necessary to put enough money into our checking account to cover that payment.
6) By statute [IC 5-13-7-6 and IC 5-13-7] we must meet annually during January to elect financial officers, to receive and review a summary Annual Investment Report from our investing officer, and to review our overall investment policy. That report is ready for 2010 and is in your reports packet.
7) On December 30th we received our 2010 E-Rate reimbursement from the State in the amount of $2,265.00. This is less than the $5,040.00 we have received in recent years because our internet service provider is charging less than was the case with their old contract, because the State is funding only 92% of the cost, and because our cost has also gone down due to our increased "reduced and free lunch" rating.
8) Each year we are to prepare a Voidable Old Checks Report by March 1st which lists outstanding checks that are more than two years old as of December 31st. The Board is to review and file that report and then those items are to be voided and the amounts returned to the accounts from which the checks were drawn. That list is ready for 2010 tonight and each of you has that list of items in your reports packet.
9) We are currently preparing the 2010 Library Annual Financial Report (LAR) which the SBOA requires to be published by February 28th. This report is prepared electronically with a program provided by the SBOA so that all municipal units generate a standard format report.
Motion made by Carol and seconded by Melanie to accept the Treasurer’s report
a need for Al Nyby to have a Treasurer Surety Bond with the face value of $19,000.00 with Liberty Mutual
motion to approve this expenditure by Joyce and seconded by Peg
HVAC quote of $4797.00 has been given by H & G Services to install air conditioning for the server.
motion was made by Carol and seconded by Al to accept this bid, with the stipulation that the unit and maintenance receive a minimum of a one year warrantee
Teresa Hudson our circulation manager has been appointed as a representative to the Evergreen IN Circulation Committee
meetings are held in Greenwood IN six times a year, Teresa attended her first meeting today 1-18-2011
she is to be congratulated by the Board
People Counters were installed 12-31-2010
- total for the first week of Jan -- 1292
- total for the second week (bad weather) -- 1101
- staff record counts at 1:00 pm daily
Director is working on the State Annual Report, due Feb. 1
Library Standards, 1-2011 require a reference/adult services person to be on call at least part-time, our person is Jonathan Gaskill
He staffs our "Reference Outpost" from 3-5:00 pm Mon & Wed
Jon is presently working on his Master of Library Science degree
OverDrive contract has been signed, hopefully will go live 3-1-2011
card holders can access; Jonathan will be assisting in helping patrons learn the system
staff will be given instruction in Feb.
loan time will be 14 days, and we will have access to all Evergreen items in OverDrive
Newest Evergreen Upgrade, 2.0 is forth coming, benefits to include acquisitions module
Friends of the Library
- Christmas decoration are down and stored
- Friends have donated $500.00 toward the purchase of additional shelving from Medallion Cabinetry to match existing ones
- They have also donated shelving units for the two closets
new copier is up and running and staff have been trained in operating it
Dr Jean Preer, Indiana U. Professor, will present a program entitled "Basic Principles of Intellectual Freedom in the Public Library Setting"
possible program for CUTPL staff and Board in late March or early April
Park Board report: Peg, the Park Board is getting ready for Spring; Peg will continue to represent the Board
AHS, no report
Election of Board officers
President: nominated Jim Hahn by Joyce and seconded by Peg
Secretary: nominated Melanie Robertson by Joyce and seconded by Carol
VP: nominated Peg Schuldt by Joyce and seconded by Al
it was moved by Melanie and seconded by Joyce to move the March Board meeting from the 15th to the 22, which is a Tuesday
it was moved by Melanie and seconded by Joan to reimburse Jonathan Gaskill
$500.00 toward the two classes he just finished at IUPUI toward his MLS degree
it was moved by Al and seconded by Carol to adjourn
transcribed by S Gut
approved by M Robertson
© 2014 Culver-Union Twp. Public Library, Culver, IN