CUTPL Board Minutes for July 2017
CULVER UNION TOWNSHIP PUBLIC LIBRARY
Board Meeting July 18 2017
CUTPL Board Minutes, July 18 2017
CUTPL Board Meeting
July 18, 2017
Time: 6:59 pm
Place: Carnegie Room
Call to order/Pledge of Allegiance
Members: Karen Boland, Teri Baker, Bill Cleavenger, Paul Liette, Flannery Posner, Melanie Robertson, Bill Githens.
Ab: Karen Boland, Teri Baker
Agenda approval: Move IMEG Corp presentation to the first part of the meeting. Paul made the motion; Flannery seconded. All ayes.
Kyle Wilson from IMEG Corporations: Presenting on the existing HVAC systems
- Study based on review of renovation drawings from 2000; also visited in the spring
- Recommends several options in two phases with additional optional modifications including new intake, digital controls
Public Comment: N/A
Secretary's Report: Flannery Posner
- Motion to accept minutes from 6-14-17 Board meeting made by Bill G.; seconded by Paul. All ayes.
- Colleen made two corrections to minutes from 6-20-17. Motion to accept corrected minutes from 6-20-17 Board meeting made by Paul; seconded by Bill. All ayes. Flannery abstained.
Treasurer's Report: Paul Liette
- Public hearing for 2018 budget will be held on August 15th at 6:45 pm prior to August Board meeting.
- Review and approve June 2017 Allowance of Accounts Payable Vouchers: motion to accept by Bill G.; seconded by Bill C. All ayes
Policy Committee: Colleen McCarty
- Garbage cans for Ohio St. entrance to library, Smokers' Cease-fire, and folding chairs: three items would total $2888.
- Local History and Genealogy Library job description. Motion to accept job position and to hire for this position at $12/hour at 29 hrs/week made by Paul; seconded by Flannery. Four ayes; one no. Motion passed.
Director's Report: Colleen McCarty
- 33.5 volunteer hours; 7 volunteers, 6 in Children's Dept.
- CPR certification took place in June; 5 staff members, 2 board members
- FOL moving book store starting this week; complete by end of next week
- Astronomer Angela Meyer here today talking about solar eclipse; will do a program here on Saturday, August 19th, to talk more about the eclipse
- Successful Celebrated Voices program; Lori Rader Day here. Won 2017 Regional Indiana Author's Award.
- 200th anniversary of Jane Austen's death; display upstairs today with her works and movies
- Schedule regular monthly meeting time for Facilities Committee. Karen and Teri both absent today; regularly scheduled meetings should occur in the library
- C-UTH project: Colleen will be able to move ahead with that, new software on computers to begin digitization process
- E-Rate Resolution: commit to join state library consortium; motion made by Bill G.; seconded by Paul. All ayes.
- Bill received specs from PPG for paint.
- Also received email from Jed Eide; drawings nearly completed and he's ready to begin bidding the project out.
- Flannery expressed concerns that there were projects on the Long Range Plan that were being initiated without the full approval and notification of the Board. Projects were prioritized based on Board's approval and we should stick to that plan, especially now that the HVAC will most likely cost more than we had anticipated, which makes it questionable if we will be able to pursue any of the other big-ticket items on the LRP.
- Melanie expressed similar concerns that Board members were operating independently and without the full support of the Board. Quoted from IN Public Trust's page 33 that states, The director is responsible to the whole board, but not responsible to each board member.
Flannery made the motion to adjourn; Bill G. seconded. All ayes.
Adjourned at 8:50 pm.
Minutes submitted by Flannery Posner, Secretary
© Culver-Union Township Public Library