Return to CUTPL Home Page
Images and text are subject to copyright infringement laws - CUTPL 2016
|The Bird Sanctuary (click to enlarge map at left)|
The Council Fire dancers at the ring in the Bird Sanctuary, early 1970s.
Another shot of the Bird Sanctuary from the 1930s, with a camper near one of the signs. Wildlife observation in the sanctuary was much more prevalent in those days, and a number of wild animals, including bear, were imported to the woods for viewing. From Maj. Dick Zimmerman's History of the Woodcraft Camp, available full-text online here.
Above: three photos with brief articles from the 1931 Culver Citizen newspaper, announcing developments and improvements in the Bird Sanctuary, which had just opened in 1930. The structures in the above photos are apparently no longer existent in the sanctuary.
From the Oct. 1, 1930 Culver Citizen newspaper:ACADEMY IS BUILDING FINE BIRD RETREAT ADAPTED FOR STUDY
William C. Vogt, Noted Nature Lover., Starts Work Under Sponsorship of E. R. Culver.
William C. Vogt, the international angler and nature lover, is at the academy, engaged in constructing an extensive bird and small game sanctuary, under the sponsorship of Mr. E. R. Culver, one of the trustees of the school.
This sanctuary will, when completed, occupy 200 acres of the present woods and fields, north of the Arenal road. It will extend northeast from the Arsenal a mile, varying in width from one eighth to one-fourth mile.
By degrees during the next three years, Mr. Vogt and his assistants will change the present tangled condition of the site into a well-ordered system of fields, woods, streams, and swamps, each fitted for a particular branch of animal life, but preserving as much as possible the natural aspect of the wilderness, and eliminating man-made works.
A 1931 photo of the Bird Sanctuary, recently added to the Woodcraft Camp. From Maj. Dick Zimmerman's History of the Woodcraft Camp, available full-text online here.
Above: Four shots of the "Beaver Pond" in the Bird Sanctuary. Built in the 1970s, the man-made "lake" or pond occupied a large section of the sanctuary's valley, beginning near the southeast entrance to the forest and fed by the stream which still runs east to west through the Sanctuary.
David Burns (top picture), former fire chief of Culver and well-known stone mason in the Culver and Lake Maxinkuckee area, built the dam that made the beaver pond (as some called it due to the proliferation of beavers, whose dams occupied the eastern end of the stream) possible. The dam burst during a particularly severe rainstorm that led to flooding in the area, during the mid-1980s, draining the pond, which remains only a marshy valley today. The photos above are from Burns' personal collection, courtesy Judi Burns, whose Culver history website here has more information.
Other Woodcraft Links:
Complete Books, Catalogs, and other Writings
Woodcraft Camp - the catalog from the 1960s
Culver Woodcraft Camp 75th Anniversary History Book by Maj. Dick Zimmerman (the complete book online)
The Summer School of Horsemanship Catalog online (1960s)
A Summer at Culver Woodcraft Camp - promotional book and catalog advertising the benefits of Culver's summer programs, probably from the 1960s.