Return to CUTPL Home Page
Images and text are subject to copyright infringement laws - CUTPL 2016
Assorted Businesses of Culver
See also: People of the Town of Culver's Past, which includes dozens of profiles of local businessmen.
|Culver's Grain Elevator|
The Culver Grain Elevator as it looked in the 1950s. The building, located on the east end of Jefferson St. where the Culver Cove is now, burned down in the 1980s.
A 1930s photo of the grain elevator in Culver, which was located at the east end of Jefferson Street near the Medbourn Ice House and Ferrier's Lumber Company. The elevator stood until its burning in the 1980s.
which burned down in the 1980s and was later replaced by the Culver Cove.
A 1950s photo of a train on the tracks in the town park area, with Culver's grain elevator visible in the background. From Verl Shaffer's collection.
Fascinating picture of the lower "trails" in the town park as they looked in 1974. Those around before then may find this image not as surprising as those of us who remember this area as it has been since (I assumed, before spotting this photo, that the trails had always been the double-sidewalk that they are today!). At the time, this strip was considered an "access road," and apparently its upgrading to paved walking trails was part of a large renovation done to the park in 1974-75. Visible in the background is the grain elevator,
The Hardware Store was an early fixture in Culver; this picture was taken at its location on the corner of Main and Jefferson Streets in 1903.
A May, 1910 photo of the interior of the Goss hardware in downtown Culver, later owned by the Snyder family (for most of the 20th century and into the 21st), on the east side of the south block of downtown Main Street.
An artifact from Jim Weirick's collection showing both sides of his father, Dan's membership in the Maxinkuckee Fish and Game Club, from 1935. The card was purchased at O.T. Goss's hardware (more recently owned by Bill Snyder in the same location) on South Main Street.
The Goss Hardware store in two views. First, the interior (above) and then a view from Main Street (below). The Goss was located at the site of today's hardware store on Main Street, before the business was sold to the Snyder family. It was owned by Goss through the early years of the twentieth century.
A 1939 Culver Citizen profile of O.T. Goss, owner of Culver's first hardware store (in the same location as today's owned by Bill Snyder). This feature was one of a series the newspaper ran in 1939, profiling local businessmen. More will be added to the website.
|Osborn Seed Company|
The 1981 Osborn Seed Company's leaders.
The Osborn Seed Co. celebrated 50 years in 1981, and is profiled in this Culver Citizen article.
This vintage seed bag -- complete with logo depicting Lake Maxinkuckee -- was from the Osborn Seed Service. Can anyone venture an estimate of its age?
Several more views of Maxinkuckee brand seeds manufactured by Osborn Seed Service on Stat Road 17 north of Culver. These images courtesy the Kim Amond collection.
Label from a milk bottle from Miller's Dairy, one of the best-known of Culver's handful of local dairies. The Miller family continues to live and work in the Culver area, though the dairy of course has been non-operational for decades.
A Cloverleaf Dairy delivery truck from the 1930s or 40s. The Cloverleaf was one of several dairies operating in town in the early part of the twentieth century. It, along with Miller Dairy, was probably one of the better-known dairies in town and was located on Plymouth Street at the intersection of Jefferson, site of today's Elizabeth's Garden.
The wreck of a Cloverleaf Dairy truck at the corner of Lake Shore Drive and Plymouth streets in the summer of 1942 made the Culver Citizen's front page.
Kenneth Miller is profiled here in the Culver Citizen in 1940. His father started the Miller Dairy near the turn of the century and Kenneth passed it down to his son, Kenneth Jr., who still lives in Culver and delivered milk to homes into the 1980s.
Harold Baker was business manager of the Clover Leaf Dairy, as pictured in a 1938 profile (left) and an October, 1930 profile (right) in the Culver Citizen.
Two shots of a bottle from the Cloverleaf Dairy, once located in Culver.
From 1931: the prominent dairy men of Culver.
From the Nov. 23, 1938 Culver Citizen: the fire that destroyed the "largest and oldest" dairy farm in the area, which belonged to the Newman family, who nonetheless continued in prominence in dairy farming. The Newman property was a few miles southwest of Culver.
|McClane Livery / Chevrolet Garage (214 E. Jefferson)|
C.R. Kline built this building originally to house the office of the Kline Lumber Yard. It later was used for Snyder's Chevrolet sales building, and was located at 214 East Jefferson Street near downtown Culver. It was demolished in the 1990s.
A 1922 advertisement for M.R. Cline's lumber yard on East Jefferson Street in Culver.
The McClane livery stable was located at 214 East Jefferson Street in this building, which became a Chevrolet garage for several years before its 1996 demolition.
A photo, circa 1922, of the McClane and Co. livery at 214 East Jefferson Street. This building would later become a Chevrolet garage (after undoing a facelift) and was demolished, having fallen into disrepair, in the 1990s.
An early 20th century photo of the McClane and Co. livery stable at 214 East Jefferson Street. This building would later become a Chevrolet garage (after undoing a facelift) and was demolished, having fallen into disrepair, in the 1990s.
|Easterday & Bonine Funeral Home|
Jim and Rosalie Bonine and family, owners of the Bonine Funeral Home (today Bonine-Odom), having taken over the business from Easterday, which operated even before the 20th century. This photo was taken in the early 1970s.
A 1951 article from the Pilot-News' centennial edition recounts briefly the founding and development of the Easterday funeral home, which spent most of its existence in downtown Culver at 108 N. Main Street (for years the site of Verl's Barber Shop, today the site of Gladie's deli). The Easterday funeral home eventually became the Bonine funeral home and was moved to the intersection of Lake Shore Drive and Main Street, north of downtown. Today it is the Bonine-Odom funeral home, in the same location.
A 1910 photo of William Easterday of the Easterday funeral home, which spent most of its existence in downtown Culver at 108 N. Main Street (for years the site of Verl's Barber Shop, today the site of Gladie's deli). Easterday, who also built furniture and sold it from the same shop, is here surrounded by numerous local children. The Easterday funeral home eventually became the Bonine funeral home and was moved to the intersection of Lake Shore Drive and Main Street, north of downtown. Today it is the Bonine-Odom funeral home, in the same location.
|World War II-Era Business Drives|
A tire drive (1942) from the WWII era at Standard Oil in Culver.
A wartime story: a "junk matinee" to collect scrap for the WWII war effort, held at the El Rancho movie theater (today the Lakeside Cinema) on Lake Shore Drive. Evert Hoeel, theater owner, is pictured (notice the film on the marquee: "Holiday Inn" with Bing Crosby!). From the Nov. 28, 1942 Culver Citizen.
Another 1942 WWII "junk" collecting effort: a junk rally in Culver, held at Pura's junkyard on south Main Street (east of the current location of Culver's Auto Supply).Read the entire World War II Years in Culver in text and images here!
|Culver's Tire Recapping Shop (E Jefferson St)|
Part of the World War II, war effort involved conservation of needed materials, including rubber. During the war, Culver's "Hi-Speed Re-cap Tire Company" provided this service. Above are two images, both from the Edgington collection via Sherrill Fujimurra, of the recap business, which was located on East Jefferson Street near the site of the Culver Cove today. Above are the exterior and interior of the place.
In 1944, a fire ravaged the re-cap tire company in Culver, destroying the building in which it was housed on East Jefferson Street. These photos, from the Edgington collection via Sherrill Fujimurra, show the aftermath of that fire.
1938 Culver Citizen article on the opening of the Gafill gas station on the corner of Lake Shore Drive and Main Streets (the building, across the street from the present Bonine-Odom Funeral Home, is presently empty).
|Assorted Other Businesses|
An early 1920s photo of Clifford Waite (whose son, Robert, loaned this photo) in front of his plumbing shop at 115 South Main Street in downtown Culver (the present location of Cafe' Max).
An early 1960s advertisement for the El Rancho theater on Lake Shore Drive in Culver, from the Kim Amond collection.
A photo, circa 1929, of the Culver Feed & Grain Mill (Elijah Robinson is pictured standing in front of it). The mill, located at the east end of Mill St., is probably what facilitated Mill Street being named what it is!
A Christmas card from the 1960s from the Taber family, owners of Culver's downtown News Agency, located on the east side of Main St. where the Chinese restaurant is today (the Newsstand was replaced for a time with the Olde Towne Restaurant). The News Agency closed its doors in the early 1980s (photo courtesy of Edna Taber, of our own library staff!)
Erecting the sign for J's 5 & ?, a dimestore that opened in Culver, under Cindy Johnston, in 1975 and closed in the 1980s. It was located at 114 N. Main, on the east side of the street across from the Library, where Michelle's Headquarters is today.
Unusual business card advertising Chesty's Mink Ranch, operated by Dwight (Chesty) Newman just off of SR 17, south of Culver.
A 1922 postcard advertising Ferrier Lumber, long a mainstay in Culver. J.O. Ferrier, owner of the company, also owned the Maxinkuckee Ice Company, one of the prominent ice houses on the lake. Ferrier Lumber was located near the end of East Jefferson Street, facing south.
Sidewalk days in Culver, 1960.
The 1955 grand opening of the now-defunct Outdoorsman store in Culver.
The beloved ice cream counter at Mr. T's drug store on Academy Road, as of October, 1989.
The House of Treasures antique store, as depicted in this 1958 postcard. The store was originally located at 772 West Shore Drive, where it operated for years before moving in the 1960s to Lake Shore Drive in Culver, at the site of present-day Papa's restaurant. It was owned by Virginia Glackman, who lived in a cottage across the street. Thanks to Carol Saft for providing info on this store (courtesy Jim Croy).
An 1896 advertisement for Gandy & Mow's Livery Stable in Culver. Perhaps someone knows just where the stable was located?
An early 1970s shot of the east side of Culver's downtown North Main Street shows the Back Door Boutique shop and Kline's TV and Appliances. Judi Burns, who corrected me on an earlier mistake on the naming of the TV shop, notes that the Boutique and Kline's occupy buildings that were mainstays of Culver's downtown businesses (among their previous occupants: Rector's Pharmacy and a number of restaurants -- including one once operated by the Snyder family -- and other shops over the years) and that those buildings are now gone, and an empty lot exists where they once were.
This house, on East Washington Street, was -- at the time of this photo's being taken -- once a gift shop. This picture was taken in the early 1970s.
The City News Agency is the most visible business in this early 1970s photo of South Main Street's east side. The News Agency was owned and operated by William Taber, also a consummate photographer whose photos grace several pages of this website.
Verl McFeely secured an "excellent baker" for his new bakery in the Menser building across the street from Culver's Methodist Episcopal church, reports this June, 1937 article from the Culver Citizen newspaper. The Methodist church at that time was located on the southwest corner of Main and Washington Streets in downtown Culver, where the north addition of the public library exists today. McFeely's bakery, then, was on the east side of north Main Street in the building today occupied by the Lake Maxinkuckee Environmental Association.
The blacksmith shop (or “tin shop”) on South Main Street was built circa 1905 and was located in what is today a vacant lot on the eastern side of South Main, just south of the intersection of Main and Madison Streets. The building was demolished in the summer of 1990, having fallen into disrepair.
A 1914 photo of Clifford Waite (loaned by his son, Robert) in front of his plumbing shop. According to Robert Waite, the shop was located on the east side of South Main Street where for years the eye doctor's office was located, and where today there is a real estate office.
Awnings by Amond was located where the Collector's antique store is located today, on the east side of Main Street in downtown Culver. This November, 1962 photo was loaned the library by Kim Amond.
Howlett Motor Sales, associated with the Lake Shore Garage on, of course, Lake Shore Drive, circa 1945. Lake Shore Garage was located across the street from Vandalia Park in the location that is today Osborn's Minimart.
A matchbook advertising the Clark Funeral Home at "6th & Monroe, Culver, Ind." However, there are not (and have not, as far as we know, ever been) streets by that name in Culver, Indiana. Anyone with suggestions as to the origins of this matchbook and the business it advertises (also unknown in Culver!), are encouraged to contact the library.
An advertising sheet that hung in the Corner Tavern on Main Street, a beloved Culver icon for decades. This item courtesy the Kim Among collection.
Charles Asper was a masonworker in Culver who built his own home on Slate Street during the nineteens. He is here profiled in one of an interesting series of articles that appeared in the 1930 Culver Citizen newspapers. Each one would profile a local businessman and featured a neat pen-and-ink drawing of the businessman alongside some caricatures of him. Mr. Asper died in the 1980s.
A 1939 Culver Citizen profile of local stone mason Charles Asper, one of the better-known businessmen of Culver for many years. This feature was one of a series the newspaper ran in 1939, profiling local businessmen. More will be added to the website."Season's Greetings" from McGill's factory (later Walker manufacturing) on West Mill St., as it appeared in the early 1970s (photo by White Photography).
A strike at the McGills plant (see left). Judi Burns writes that the strike took place in 1985. "that was the strike that closed the plant and they moved their operations between the Valparaiso and Monticello plants," writes Judi. Photo by White Photography.
Jane and Charles McCafferty opened the Outdoorsman store "alongside the shores of Lake Maxinkuckee" in the 1950s, as depicted in the pages of the Culver Citizen. Is this the same store that became Clara Hanson's restaurant and sporting goods store, still operating today on Lake Shore Drive near the train depot?
View of the east side of north main Street in downtown Culver in the early 1970s. Visible, in spite of the poor quality of the original image, is the Kelly shop, run by Marilyn Kelly of Culver.
J's 5 &...? the dime store that once operated where Michelle's Headquarters is located today on the east side of north Main Street, across from the public library in downtown Culver. This photo, taken in the early 1970s, also shows a portion of Marilyn Kelly's Kelly Shop at right.
A wonderful and rare photo of D.W. Miller's livery stable and auto garage, which was located on today's Lake Shore Drive at the site of Culver's City Tavern restaurant, in the 400 block of Lake Shore Drive near its intersection with Harding Court (at the time, Lake Shore Dr. was Toner Avenue). This photo, from circa 1914, provides an interesting peek into a transitionary period between the days of horses and the prominence of the automobile. It is also a predicator of a well-known Culver business to come, which was located in the same spot: the A.R. McKesson Ford garage. That building, which has changed hands many times since it was the McKesson garage, is the same one which houses the City Tavern and other businesses today. Thanks to Jim Weirick for the use of this photo.
D.W. Miller, owner of the D.W. Miller livery and auto garage on today's Lake Shore Drive (then Toner Ave.) in the 400 block where today's City Tavern is located. This photo of Miller -- an ancestor of Jim Weirick -- is part of the Weirick collection and was probably taken in the teens or 1920s.
An advertisement for the O'Connor Greenhouse at 1010 South Main Street in Culver, with accompanying article. According to the article, the building was built in 1931 by Mr. and Mrs. Ira McClain, who ran the business until 1942, when the O'Connors bought it. This article comes from the Pilot-News newspaper's July, 1951 centennial edition, so the O'Connor florist shop was in business at least until that time. Does anyone know what became of the shop? The building, located on the east side of South Main Street just north of the cemetery, is a private residence today.
Businesses and Businessmen
The library's "People" page includes profiles of dozens of Culver area businessmen, alphabetical by last name. Click here to view the page.
See also: Advertisements from Culver's Past