Subject: Use of Rooms Policy for Non-Library Sponsored Activities
Approved By: Board of Library Trustees
Approval Date: 2002, December 2009
Effective Date: 2002, Feb. 16, 2010, Oct. 11, 2011, Apr. 15, 2014, Jan. 1, 2016
New ( ) Revised (X) Reviewed (X) ______________________________________________________________
A major goal of the Culver-Union Township Public Library is to provide for the informational, cultural, and educational needs of the public it serves. Meeting rooms are provided with the expectation that they will be used to accomplish this goal. Meeting rooms will be available to groups in the community regardless of the beliefs and affiliations of their members and the following restrictions apply in the use of the meeting room:
The Library provides the following public meeting rooms/areas for use by groups in the community:
- Large Meeting Room Maximum Capacity: 75 people
- Carnegie Room Maximum Capacity: 75 people
- Small Meeting Room Maximum Capacity: 20 people
- Youth Craft Area Maximum Capacity: 20 people
- Reference Quiet Study Area Maximum Capacity: 20 people
- Meeting rooms are available only during the Library’s regular operating hours.
- The meeting room will generally be reserved for groups of 5 or more people. The number of people attending an event in the meeting room should not exceed 75 people.
- Buying, selling, and advertising of products or services are permitted on library property only in support of the library, or by special permission of the Library Board.
- The intentional displaying of firearms is prohibited at CUTPL meetings except by law enforcement personnel.
- Library programs take precedence in scheduling the meeting room. The library reserves the right to change or cancel reservations.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on Library premises.
- No alcohol is permitted anywhere on Library premises.
- The Library’s Large Meeting Room has limited kitchen facilities.
Tentative reservations may be made by phone. A written room reservation form (see attached) must be completed by the official representative of the group who assumes responsibility for use of the room.
- A monetary donation to CUTPL is appreciated.
- $25 deposit is required at time of reservation for social events e.g., receptions, parties, memorials, reunions etc., refundable when the room is found in good condition following the event
- Deposits will be returned when the group cancels the reservation.
All organizations with standing annual reservations need to fill out a new Meeting Room Application before January 1 of the forthcoming year.
The meeting room will not be scheduled until the deposit (if applicable) is paid. Any damages that occur as a result of the group using the meeting room may also be billed to the representative who took responsibility for the room. The library assumes no responsibility for hats, coats or other personal belongings of persons attending meetings.
Each group takes full responsibility for any damages incurred from the use of the meeting room facilities. Abuse of the facilities or non-payment for any cleaning fees or damages will be sufficient cause to deny further use of the room. Each group is responsible for leaving the room as it was upon the group's arrival.
The applicable provisions governing the use of the larger Meeting Room also govern the use of the smaller meeting rooms. The Library Director will oversee the supervision of meeting room use and interpret these policies. Any questions of policy will be forwarded to the full library board. Failure to comply with these regulations or the directives of the designated representatives of the Library will result in denial of the group’s subsequent use of the Library meeting rooms. The Library Board shall have the right to waive the regulations without notice whenever it is in the best interest of the library or the community to do so. The Library Board neither endorses nor denounces the viewpoints of any organizations which use the meeting rooms. No admission charge may be made at any function at the Library with the exception of membership dues and/or regular fees to cover cost of materials or speakers when applicable.
Revocation and Refusal of Authorization of Use: In summary: use of library meeting rooms may be prohibited or terminated at any time if the activity or conduct planned or occurring in the facility is or is deemed to be disruptive, or interferes with library patron use of the library facilities for library purposes or is disruptive or interferes with library staff in their service to patrons. The privilege of using Library meeting rooms will not be granted or will be revoked if the activities or intended activities of the meeting room users negatively impact normal operations in the following ways:
- The meeting is conducted in a noisy, disorderly or inflammatory manner.
- The size of the meeting presents personal safety or building security issues, or creates an undue parking demand on library lots or the surrounding neighborhood.
- The activities of meeting room users disrupt or will be disruptive to other library patrons’ use of library facilities, or distract or will be distracting to library staff in the performance of their duties.
- The meeting room users neglect to pay all required fees, or neglect to pay for damages to the meeting room.
- The meeting room users neglect to leave the room in the condition in which it was found.
- There is any violation of Library policy.
- There is intentional display of firearms except by law enforcement personnel.
- A group fails to show for a scheduled meeting without 24 hour prior notification.
By signing the Meeting Room application, the Organization and its Authorized Representative agree to pay for any damages to Library property; the Library Board and the Director will access the actual dollar cost of the damage for replacement or repair of Library property and the Organization and its Authorized Rep. will be responsible for that amount of money.
Indemnification: Organizations or individuals using meeting rooms shall indemnify and hold harmless the Culver Union Township Public Library and its officers, directors, agents and employees from and against all losses, damages, claims, costs and expenses arising from injury or death of any person(s), or damage to property resulting from any act or omission of such users or their employees, agents, representatives, guests, invitees, or the general public to the extent that such losses, damages, claims, costs, and expenses arise in connection with or relate to the organization’s or individual’s use of the facility.
Applications will be reviewed by the Director and if approved, the meeting will be scheduled. The library reserves the right to relocate, cancel or postpone meetings depending on room demand, availability, and group size.
© 2016 Culver-Union Twp. Public Library, Culver, IN