Subject: CUTPL Patron Behavior Policy
Approved By: Board of Library Trustees
Approval Date: November 17, 2009
Effective Date: Nov. 17, 2009, Oct. 11, 2011, Apr. 16, 2013, May 19, 2015
New ( ) Revised ( X ) Reviewed ( X )
A primary goal of the Culver-Union Township Public Library is to provide a comfortable and safe environment that will allow the Library’s patrons to fully use and enjoy all of its resources. To accomplish this goal, the Board of Trustees of the Culver-Union Township Public Library establishes this Library Patron Behavior Policy which is designed to provide clear and reasonable guidelines governing patron behavior within the Library and on the Library premises.
While the Library Board of Trustees and staff recognize the rights of all individuals to use the Library, there are times when decisions must be made to protect persons and property. Therefore, under certain circumstances, the Library staff is authorized to remove and exclude individuals from the Library’s premises. Unacceptable behavior includes behavior within the Library or on Library premises that interferes with the use of the Library by other patrons, creates a risk of injury to other patrons or Library personnel, interferes with the work of Library personnel, or creates a risk of damage to Library property.
The CUTPL Board of Trustees acknowledges the rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. However, in response to a law recently passed by the Indiana legislature (Senate Enrolled Act 292) regarding citizens carrying registered handguns in public, we wish to go on record as objecting to allowing intentionally displayed weapons within the CUTPL building. We fail to see how weapons of any kind enhance the purpose for and safety of citizens using library facilities. We are legally required to add a weapons clarification statement.
LIBRARY CODE OF CONDUCT
We ask that our patrons, including minors (less than 18 years of age) conduct themselves in a manner that is respectful of others. All library users are also asked to respect library property and to act in a manner appropriate to the use and function of the library.
The following restrictions apply on library property:
- Sleeping, loitering, littering, soliciting, or being under the influence of alcohol or other substances
- Use of tobacco products or electronic smoking devices on the Library premises or anywhere on Library grounds
- Skateboarding, in-line skating, fighting, boisterous behavior, use of loud, abusive, or obscene language, horseplay, pushing, shoving, yanking or hitting other library patrons inside the Library or while on Library premises, running, pushing, climbing, obstruction of persons or vehicles, and other behavior determined by staff, in its sole discretion, to be disruptive; skateboards to be checked at the Youth Department Circulation Desk
- Any form of sexual misconduct, including but not limited to exposure, offensive touching or sexual harassment of other patrons
- Bringing animals into the Library except those who are part of a program or are registered service animals
- Bicycles, scooters, skates, or roller blades. All bicycles should be parked in the bike racks while owners are using the library facilities.
- Any behavior that presents an eminent danger to the life or safety of others
- Possession or use of illegal drugs, narcotics or controlled substances
- Playing on the elevator
- Firearms may not be intentionally displayed at CUTPL meetings except by law enforcement officials.
- Entering or exiting from unauthorized doors
- Posing a health or sanitary risk or a nuisance to other persons
- Using library materials, equipment, fixtures or buildings in a manner inconsistent with the customary use thereof; or in a destructive, abusive or potentially damaging manner; or in a manner likely to cause personal injury to self or others
- Theft of library property
- Unreasonable noise levels including shouting, loud talking or disruptive conversation, allowing ringing cell phones or engaging in loud cell phone conversation, playing loud music
- Engaging in other behavior that interferes with the proper and established functioning of a public library, that threatens the safety and/or welfare of individuals, or that interferes with the quiet enjoyment of the library and library grounds by other individuals
- Violating the Library’s rules for “Acceptable Use of the Internet and Library Public Computers” Policy, which is posted in the Computer Lab.
- Patrons are required to wear shirts and shoes while on library property.
In the event that a patron violates any of these policies, a staff member will tell the individual that his/her behavior violates the Patron Code of Conduct, and that it must stop. If the individual continues the behavior, he/she will be asked to leave the library. If the patron refuses, the police will be called to remove the patron from the premises.
A patron may be banned from the library for a specific amount of time. In some cases, a violation of the conduct rules may result in legal prosecution.
In the event a patron’s actions present an imminent danger to the life or safety of him/her or others, he/she will be expelled from the premises immediately.
In the case of emergency situations, the Library reserves the right to expel patrons from the premises and /or authorize staff to call upon other agencies (e.g., police, fire department, etc.) in order to protect people and property.
If a patron is expelled from the Library, the staff member(s) involved will fill out an Incident Report Form, which will be given to the Director.
Indiana law requires us to report suspected child abuse and neglect (I.C. 31-33-5)
This Policy will be posted in the Library.
With everyone’s cooperation with the above policy, the Library will continue to provide a pleasant environment for our patrons and visitors: your consideration for other Library users will help us do our job better for you and the community.
The Board of Trustees of the Culver Union Township Public Library reserves the right to change this Policy without notice.
© 2016 Culver-Union Twp. Public Library, Culver, IN