Return to CUTPL Home Page
Images and text are subject to copyright infringement laws - CUTPL 2016
Early Hotels and Clubs of the Maxinkuckee Area
The following lists were compiled, we believe, in the 1970s, though by whom we're not certain. They are part of a treasure trove of chronological listings of important dates in local education, transportation, boats, and life in general that seem to have been compiled around the same time and by the same author. You can see the other chronologies here. Anyone with more information on the compiler of these wonderful documents is encouraged to contact us. And there aren't enough thanks to show appreciation to Linda Johnston for her hours of work typing these lengthy pieces into the computer!
Hotels – Wayside Inns 1870 – 1900’s Maxinkuckee Area
Allegheny House, 1870 . . . Maxinkuckee
Arlington, 1886, destroyed by fire, 1895, rebuilt, 1896 . . . L.J. Knapp, proprietor
Bradley Hotel, -- later purchased by Chas. C. Boblett renamed The Chasnelle.
The New Culver Hotel, 1908 . . .J. Osborn, proprietor,
The Jungle Hotel
Lake Side Hotel, 1898, H.J. Flagg, proprietor
Lake View Hotel, leased by Kiefer Whitcomb, 1896
N & G Ohmer Hotel & Restaurant, near Vandalia Station.
Palmer House, 1885, later renamed Maxinkuckee Inn, later Culver Inn, CMA Campus.
Ralston Hotel, destroyed by fire, August 10, 1911.
The Van Schoiack, 1878
The Village Hotel
THEN Back Earlier There Were Those Popular Clubs
NOTE: In the mid to late 1800’s Lake Maxinkuckee attracted a growing interest among sportsmen and persons seeking a vacation spa. Headquarters for clannish groups were Club Houses where social and other activities were centered. Historically prominent among the societies were:
The Echo Club
Maxinkuckee Boating & Fishing Club, 1875, (Plymouth Businessmen)
Peru Club, 1878
Plymouth Club (Clubhouse later became McQuat residence)
Lakeview Club, 1873
Logansport Neighbor Club
|Other Vintage Culver Hotels|
The Palmer House (see the Culver Inn, click here)
The Maxinkuckee Inn (see the Culver Inn, click here)