Return to CUTPL Home Page
The Culver-Union Township Public Library makes no representation regarding the accuracy of the information contained within these pages.
"ONE TOWNSHIP'S YESTERDAYS"
This history of Union Township, Marshall County, Indiana, was started by Mr. Corwin as a Government project, but before he had completed the prodigous task the Government's support was withdrawn. Rather than drop the history with its valuable data, much of which had never been unearthed before, Mr. Corwin continued the work to its completion without compensation.
The history was first printed in The Culver Citizen in installment form, but to make the work more accessible for future reference and to put it in a more permanent form, Mr. Corwin's writings are being published in supplement form.
To Mr. Corwin the community is indebted for this textbook of local history, which will grow in value as the years pass. It is probably one of the few of its kind in the entire country, and Union Township may well be proud of the compilation.-M. R. Robinson Editor, The Culver Citizen.
In the preparation of the following history of Union Township, Marshall County, Indiana, th writer has had access to various books, pamphlets, periodicals, am newspapers, from which much o value in the way of information has been gleaned. The following list of reference works is fairly complete, and the majority of them have been drawn upon in the building up of our history.
"History of Marshall County, Indiana, 1836 to 1880," by Daniel McDonald. (Kingman Brothers, Chicago, 1881).
"A Twentieth Century History of Marshall County, Indiana," by Hon. Daniel McDonald. In 2 vols. (Lewis Publishing Go., Chicago, 1908).
"History of Indiana and Marshall County," Vol. II, by Alexander C. Thompson, Dr. Samuel W. Gould, Dr. A. C. Matchette, and Christian Seiler, Jr. (Brant, Fuller, and Co., Madison, Wis., 1890.)
"The Story of Marshall County," by Minnie H. Swindell. (The Pilot Company, Plymouth, Ind., 1923.)
"The Stahl Family History." by Jacob Peter Stahl, (Bradshaw Printing Co., Alliance, Ohio, 1924)
"One Hundred and Fifty Years of the Hawki Family, 17831933," compiled by Z. T. Hawkins. (Fairmount, Indiana, 1933.)
"Once Upon a Time in Indiana," edited by Charity Dye. (BobbsMerrill Company, Indianapolis, 191s.)
"Lake Maxinkuckee Summer Resort," an Art Annual, published by the Rev. George R. Streeter. (Culver, Indiana, 1905.)
"Indiana Historical Collections. Indiana as Seen by Early Travelers. A Collection of Reprints from
Books of Travel, Letters, and Diaries Prior to 1830," edited by
Harlow Lindley, (Indiana Historical Commission, Indianapolis, s 1916.)
"Indiana Historical Collections. The Indiana Centennial, 1916. A Record of the Celebration of the One Hundredth Anniversary of Indiana's Admission to Statehood," edited by Harlow Lindley. (Indiana Historical Commission, Indianapolis, 1919.)
"Historic Indiana" by Julia Hendenson Levering. (G. P. Putnam's Sons, New York, 1909.)
"The Evolution of French Canada," by Jean Charlemagne Bracz. (The Macmillan Company, New York, 1924.)
"A Century of Indiana," by Edward E. Moore. (American Book Company, 1910.)
"Stories of Indiana" by Maurice Thompson (American Book Company, 1898.)
"Lake Maxinkuckee A Physical and Biological Survey," 2 vols. by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. (The Department of Conservation; State of Indiana, 1920.)
"Wiseman Genealogy and Biography," by B. W. S. Wiseman, M. D.
"The Book of the Generations of William McFarland and Nancy Kilgore, 1740-1912," by Joseph McFarland, M. D., Galion, Ohio. (Editor and Publisher, Edward Norton Cantwell, Dundee, Illinois.)
"Overmyer History and Genealogy, from 1680 to 1905," collated by Barnhart B. and John C. Overmyer, Fremont, Ohio. (Beelman, Fremont, O., 1905.)
"Lake Maxinkuckee, the Beautiful," by Daniel McDonald. "The Culver Citizen," and "The Marmont Herald," files.
"The Plymouth Pilot."
The writer deeply regrets that typographical errors are to be found in this work. Practically all of them appear in the last few pages; that is, from page 59 on-ward, these being the only pages, the final proofs of which the writer was unable to see corrected, due to his absence from Culver. The omissions of the last two chapter heads and of a subhead are the most grievous of the errors-sins of omission, rather than of commission. In order to avoid confusion, several minor errors have been left uncorrected.
May the reader understand and forgive these lapses, and think kindly of the writer for having aimed at perfection, though perfection were not reached. At any rate, the best of our purposes sometimes go awry.
The corrections follow:
Page 54, column 2, 8 lines from bottom, "siege" misspelled. Page 55, bottom of last column, line omitted, to be found at bottom of column one, page 56. Page 59, column 3, paragraph 8, heading omitted: The United Brethren Church.
Page 60, column one, paragraph 5, word "represented" misspelled. Page 60, column 2, paragraph 2, word "attended" misspelled.
Page 61, column 3, paragraph 3, chapter head omitted: LIII. "The Press."
Page 63, column 3, top, chapter head omitted: LIV. Recollections. Page 63, column 4, last line, word "also" to be omitted.
Page 64, column 3, paragraph 2 should read: "Still another ancient house is the former Doctor Durr house, east of the police station and just north of the factorylike structure on the east side of Lake Street, between Lake Shore Drive and Washington Street," etc.
|TABLE of CONTENTS|
Chapter XLIV. The Battle of the Highways.